Working in Australia

The information in this area will help you to

  • Understand the visa conditions relating to working while studying, and
  • Apply for permission to work on a student visa.

How to apply for working permission

You may apply for work permission through the Department of Immigration and Citizenship online by the following link.

You may also visit the Department of Immigration and Citizenship

Maximum working hours permitted

If you are given permission to work, there will be restrictions on the number of hours you will be allowed to work in a week. The following table describes the maximum work hours permitted after a Permission to Work visa has been granted

If you are granted permission to work as a … Then you may work for …
(condition 8105)
a maximum of 40 hours a fortnight during the term, not including work that is a formal registered part of your course, and unlimited hours during recognised periods of vacation.
member of a student’s family (condition 8104) a maximum of 40 hours a fortnight throughout the year for the duration of your visa.
member of a family unit under visa subclass:
574 (masters or doctorate course), or
576 (AusAID or Defence-sponsored)
a maximum of 40 hours a fortnight at all times (condition 8104), when you are studying any preliminary course, or
unlimited hours, if you apply for permission to work after you start your masters or doctorate course


Volunteer work/unpaid work

If you volunteer or take part in unpaid work, then you must apply for  a Permission To Work visa. Any volunteer or unpaid work counts towards the limit of 20 hours per week

Tax File Number

In order for you to work in Australia, you need to obtain a Tax File Number (TFN). You can obtain a TFN through the Australian Tax Office. You will need to contact them about their requirements and processes. Please visit the ATO website.