Frequently Asked Questions


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What facilities do you offer?

We have a computer centre with language programs and unlimited free internet access. We also have a closed reserve section where students may review the course text-books and a study library.

  • Facsimile
  • Photocopiers
  • Food and drink vending machines.
  • Kitchenettes.
  • Self study areas.
  • TV
  • Computer self access and Internet facilities.
  • Study library
I want to study at University. Can you help me?

After completing some of the courses at North Sydney English College the student can go directly to some Australian Higher Education providers. For more information please contact us.

Can I get a job in Sydney?

Your student visa allows you to work 40 hours a fortnight. Many of our students find jobs in restaurants or hotels. Professional work is much harder to get because your student visa only allows you to work 40 hours a fortnight.

Is North Sydney English College an accredited organisation?


How many students are in a class?

In the English classes, there are, on average, 18 students in a class.

How many hours a day should I study?

International students are required by the Department of Immigration to be on campus for 20 hours per week.

Is it possible to live on campus?

North Sydney English College does not offer living facilities. However, we can assist you in finding other accommodation during your stay. Student House and Homestay are available.

Can I pay by credit card?

Yes. All you have to do is to fill in a credit card payment form. However, please remember that there is a surcharge of 2%.

Can I extend my visa in Australia?

Yes, please refer to Department of Immigration website for more details.

What is the length of the course?

You can study English for as little as four weeks or as long as you wish. We will assess your skill level (give you a test) when you start your first day and place you into a class according to your ability. We will test you every month and promote you or not based on your test results.

Can I pay by instalments?

No. You cannot pay English courses by instalments.

How long can I study on a student visa?

The length of visa will be dependent on the total length of the course.

Can I work in Australia while I study?

Yes. International students in Australia on a student visa can apply for permission to work up to 40 hours a fortnight during course time and full-time during vacation can only apply for work rights after you arrive in Australia. Please visit the page on the Australian Immigration website to find out about conditions for working while studying and how to apply for permission to work.

Can I apply for a tourist visa over the internet?

Depending on the passport that you hold, you may be eligible to apply for a tourist visa online this will let you stay for 3 months in Australia. See for more information.

How long can I stay on a tourist/visitor visa?

You can study for up to 3 months full-time or part-time.

I have obtained my student visa. What does all the coding mean on the visa document?

Your visa must satisfy the visa requirements and comply with a number of visa conditions for attendance and academic performance.  Your Student Visa will list the conditions that apply specifically to you. Descriptions of common student visa conditions can be found in the factsheet on the Australian Immigration website. It is important to comply with your visa conditions to avoid cancellation of your visa.

Do Australian residence students have to pay for tuition fees?

Yes. Private colleges receive no government funding. All students are required to pay fees to contribute to the college’s tuition and facilities. Australian students can apply for AUSTUDY.

When can I begin my course?

You may start your English course on any Monday during the year (except public holidays).

Can I have holidays?

If you are studying an English course, you will only be allowed to have holidays if you let us know the specific period at the time of enrolment ONLY. This will then be put at the end of your study (there is no refund).

Will I receive a college student ID card?

On your first day at our college at Orientation, you will receive your student ID card during Orientation. You can use your student card for getting student discounts on entry to cinemas, theatres, museums, aquariums, art galleries etc. but not public transport.

Will I need to buy textbooks?

Students need to buy textbook

Can the college help me if I am having difficulties with my studies?

Yes, our Student Service Officers are your first point of contact.  They  can assist students if   personal problems interfere with their studies. They will direct you to our Counsellor or for academic reasons to our Direcotr of STudies or Head Teacher.

Can the college help me open a bank account?

Yes. We will provide you with a Letter. The letter states that you are enrolled as a student at  our college and includes your name, address in Sydney, date of birth and dates/length of course. You will need to take this letter along with any other documents needed.

Can I get student concessions on transport (buses, trains, ferries, etc.)?

No. Students on student visas do not get concessions on transport.

What can I do on my spare-time?

Sydney offers great experiences, tourist attractions many of them within walking distance of your college.  You are sure to find lots of interests in Sydney. For more info visit  Attractions such as the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House are only a short distance away.

How much money do I need per month to cover living expenses?

Students usually need $A1000 – $A1300 per month to cover accommodation, transport, food, clothes and entertainment options like going to the cinema, etc. This does not include airfares, health insurance and tuition fees.

What's the weather like in Sydney?

Summer ( December – February), Autumn (March – May), Winter (June – August) and Spring (September – November).  Generally Sydney weather is good all year round.For the current weather conditions in Australia, check out

Can I use internet services at your college?

Yes, you can. There is no charge for this.

What are the classroom facilities like?

At our college it is a comfortable learning environment, and all classrooms, and other facilities are air-conditioned. They are equipped with the technologies including data projectors, DVD players, sound systems, etc. Students have access to the internet and email in the computer centre.

Who are the trainers/teachers/staff at your college?

The strength of our college is our team of teachers, trainers & administration/marketing staff, who have experience in their fields. Our English teachers are all highly qualified professionals with many years of experience teaching English to international students.

Can I study part-time?

Only if you are a non student visa holder.

How can I pay my fees?

Payment can be made to the college through the following methods:

  • Direct Deposit into our bank account.
  • Telegraphic Transfer- Transfer of fees from Overseas bank account to bank account
  • Credit Card- Payment by either Visa, Mastercard, or Bankcard
  • Bank draft or bank cheque. Please make cheques payable as listed on the bank fees document
Are my tuition fees secure?

Yes. As soon as you pay your tuition fees they are held in a trust account until you start.

Can I study part-time?

Only if you are a non student visa holder.

Can I bring my family with me?

Most visas allow international students to bring their family to Australia as their dependants. If your course is 2 months or more. You can bring family members including your spouse, and you and your spouse’s dependent children. If you are planning to bring your dependants with you to Australia, you need to make specific arrangements for your family visas and living arrangements. You will also need to budget your living costs accordingly. Visit the page, the Australian Immigration website.

Do I have to pay overseas student health cover?

Australian Government regulations state:
‘It is a condition of the grant of your Overseas Student Visa that you have acceptable health insurance cover during the whole time you are in Australia.’ To be covered for health insurance, you will need to pay the Overseas Student Health Cover (OHSC) when you accept your offer to join our college. The college will pay health cover on behalf of you, and you include this as part of your fees payment to the college.  For more info go to

Can I change my visa once I am in Australia?

You might be allowed to change your visa once you are in Australia. Visit the for more information.

Can I leave Australia and re-enter?

Your visa has been granted for multiple entry. You can leave Australia and re-enter using this visa, as long as it is valid.

How do I apply for student visa?

You will first need to complete the application form. Upon approval of your application, we will issue an offer letter which will indicate the course, and the fees to be paid. You must then pay the fees indicated as well as the OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover). Upon receipt of payment, we will issue you with a COE (Confirmation of Enrolment) which you can then use to apply for a student visa at the Australian Consulate General. You will also be asked to provide a medical report signed by the Australian Consulate General approved panel of doctors. For more Visa information go to

What are the nationalities of your students?

We are currently enrolling students from all parts of the world. We participate in exhibitions across the world attracting many countries to our college.

What is Sydney's time difference?

Standard Time GMT + 10

Can I apply for a student visa online?

Yes. You may be eligible to apply.

Visit website for more information.